Damien

New server idea

Okay so this is probably gonna sound really dumb to a lot of people and tbh it sounds like a dumb idea to me in some aspects too, but let me explain some of my thought process before I get shut down for the idea I’m about to say.

So If you have been active in the combat surf community for a while now you have seen that combat surf has been slowly dying. First most of the active servers shutting down [Sobs, Lss, Malibu(I know it wasn’t that big but it was my favorite) and more recently PXG. And then many OG players left NF and stopped playing Combat surf in general. Nospread became almost the only way combat surf is played on most servers. I believe the competitive gameplay that a lot of combat surfers thrive for has died. For example, there has been only around  4 or 5 tourneys for all servers combined in the past year. 

So this is what I’m proposing. NF host a 5v5 retro combat surf server. This would only hold 10 people on the server and I’m not sure if it could make any money but it might be able to bring back competitiveness in the surf community. There are a few issues such as picking a map, and having an admin on to see if anyone is breaking rules. I believe this can somewhat make combat surf more fun and competitive for players like myself

-Damien.  

1 hour ago, Damien said:

So If you have been active in the combat surf community for a while now you have seen that combat surf has been slowly dying.

Your entire suggestion here rides on an assertion that is objectively wrong. LSS is NF, first of all. That was more of a rebrand than anything else. SOBS and Malibu, even in their prime, never got anywhere close to the activity we see today. If you think they did, you're putting on some nostalgia goggles. At its height, Malibu never broke sub-1000 ranking on gametracker and SOBS just barely did. NightFall has hit sub-150 before.

Combat surf, on the whole, is the biggest that it has ever been.

I think a better assertion would be that competitive combat surf has died. That is, combat surf as someone like you knew it. But here's the thing-- there haven't been 4 or 5 tourneys since April 2017. It's actually been even less. In 2016, there weren't that many more either. I think it was even less again. The first CS:GO combat surf tournament ever was the one hosted by SOBS in early 2016 actually. I hosted a grand total of maybe 4 or 5. Nobody else hosted ones that anyone actually cared about or got any attention.

Before that SOBS tournament in 2016, there were never any competitive combat surf events to begin with. Sure there were some clan wars between 1.6 and Source teams in the old days from 2004-2010, but once again competitive combat surf sort of died. I think the 2016-2017 burst of competition was not actually the norm, but simply a result by major community members such as w0rks, Grizz, and yours truly to bring that competitive feel back. That wasn't the norm.

Now, we are back to the norm. Now we're back to what combat surf has been since 2012 or so. Pub servers with a few players that stand out, but not enough to make a league or tournaments or anything like that.

Reducing retro's player slots from 24 to 10 will do jack shit to bring the competitive combat surf scene to fruition like you want it to. Hell, these days that server never gets past 10 players anyway. Tournaments probably won't work either, as they're just a temporary solution to a long-ongoing "problem" as you may see it, or just the reality of the situation as I see it. Tournaments are extremely difficult to host properly, and have no net benefit for the organizers unless you have an entry fee, which nobody would pay anyway. 3dou, Grizz, and the rest of the NF staff probably have much better ways to spend their time than to try to bring back a competitive nature to surf that hasn't truly flourished in over 8 years anyway.

My advice? "Let it die," in your sense. Let it live in the way that the players want it to live. Fuck it. Make some AWP spawners. Uncap the maximum speed. Let combat surf turn into more of an arcade if that's what the little kids want. That's the only way you're going to keep a community active and funded to do the things you do want to do with it.

One of the problems that contributed to a dying surf combat community was the over saturation of newer servers. The way I see, there were 5 main servers when I played (that I would consider the pioneers and what kept the community alive). You had SOBS, LSS, O.F./Malibu, PRG, and Interlude. Basically, those are what I would consider the top servers before 2016/2017.

Around the end of 2016, you had SOBS, NF, and Malibu with PXG just opening. LSS turned to NF and O.F. turned to Malibu, which was horribly run (as for why I created PXG). After PXG was made, I would consider the over saturation to being. Malibu died off and many people quit, went to PXG, or went to NF. Same with Interlude. Now you have PRG, SOBS (at this point I know nothing about), NF, and PXG. These four servers I would consider to hold the main part of the surf combat community. And by now, no spread was becoming popular.

After PXG was created, servers like DZN, DB, Happy, and many others were created by community players from PXG, NF, PRG, and SOBS trying to compete with these four servers. All of these newer servers that were being made had people running it with no experience, nothing new to offer than the other four servers, same plugins, same spread options. Nothing new was being made in the surf combat community.

I would say this community started dying when all of these newer servers were being made. 

Sorry if this is not at all coherent, but I agree with Elmo. Let it die. CS: GO has been dying for a while along with the surf combat community. There is no revolutionary idea from anyone to fix the dying community because everything has already been done. Let it die.

Also, Elmo wrote too much for my brain to fully read before I wrote this. I saw let it die and responded.

Edited by Strech

We're currently working on new servers right now, but if there are any other suggestions just let us know.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, 3dou said:

We're currently working on new servers right now, but if there are any other suggestions just let us know.

Nova jump and hacks allowed. 10/10. Negev boost too.